WHERE TO USE
Mapesil AC is an acetic-crosslinking silicone sealant suitable for sealing glass, ceramic and anodised aluminium. After first having used a bonding enhancer, Primer FD can also be used on concrete, wood, metal, painted surfaces, plastic and rubber.
MAPESIL IS USED FOR
• Sealing expansion joints of ± 25% expansion of the initial size.
• Forming a perfectly elastic gasket between different elements in building, mechanical engineering, shipbuilding, automobile, manufacturing, etc. Some application examples
• Sealing joints in wall and floor coverings of ceramic and cement, provided they are not subject to heavy abrasion.
• Sealing joints between sinks or sanitary ware and ceramic tiles in kitchens, bathrooms and showers with colours coordinated with the grouts.
• Sealing expansion joints in swimming pools.
• Assembling compositions of glass tiles and artistic stained glass windows.
• Sealing glazing of door and window frames.
• Sealing air ducts, water pipes.
• Sealing portholes, windows, glazed frames.
• Sealing tanks, service pipes and boilers.
• Sealing materials of different thermal exposure coefficient.
• Adhesive and sealant for general use.
• Do not use Mapesil AC for joints in exterior between ceramic tiles and light-coloured natural stone because dirt could accumulate by the joints.
• For sealing surfaces sensitive to acids such as lime stone, use a neutral silicone sealant.
• The use of Mapesil AC is not recommended on highly plasticised material or on bituminous surfaces because of the release of substances that reduce bonding and penetrate into the sealant, altering the colour and resistance.
• The resistance of Mapesil AC to chemical agents is generally excellent; however, due to the numerous products and working conditions to which Mapesil AC can be applied, it is always advisable to do a sample test in cases of doubt.
• Do not use Mapesil AC to seal aquariums.
• For sealing floor joints subject to heavy traffic, use a polyurethane or epoxy-polyurethane sealant.
Preparing and calculating joints size All the surfaces to receive the sealant must be dry, solid and free from dust and loose particles, oils, grease, wax, old paint and rust. In order that the seal can carry out its function, provision must be made for it to elongate and compress freely. During application it is therefore necessary that:
• it adheres only to the side of the walls of the joint and not to the base of the joint;
• the joint is sized so that the estimated maximum extension is not greater than 25% of the initial width (calculated at +20°C);
• when the width of the joint is 10 mm, the thickness must be equal to the width; for widths between 11 and 20 mm the thickness must always be equal to 10 mm; for widths greater than the thickness must be equal to half the width.
To control the depth of the joint and to prevent Mapesil AC from adhering to the base, the bottom of the joint should be filled with a sized Mapefoam, a polyethylene cord.